Direct Service Locations
Delivering human services involves a partnership between the department, counties, and private service providers. The administrative arm of the department receives and distributes funds for human service needs, provides direction and technical assistance, sets standards, conducts training of county staff, manages the computerized eligibility systems, and provides program supervision to county employees.
About 83 percent of the department's staffing resources are based at direct care locations (the North Dakota State Hospital, the Developmental Center, the eight regional human service centers, and the eight regional child support enforcement units). County social service offices are also important local service providers.
To locate direct services near you, click on the appropriate headings below.
- County Social Services Offices
- Counties are the first point of contact for families who need economic assistance, child welfare services, supportive services for elderly and disabled individuals, children's special health services, or help locating other local resources and programs.
- Developmental Center [NDDC]
- The North Dakota Developmental Center is a state-operated, comprehensive support agency for people with mental retardation/developmental disabilities. Located in Grafton, N.D., the center currently serves about 150 people providing specialized services and acting as a safety net for people whose needs exceed community resources.
- Regional Child Support Enforcement Units
- These regional units provide services if they receive a referral from public assistance programs (TANF, etc.) or if custodial or non-custodial parents request services. Services may include: paternity establishment, establishment and enforcement of child support and medical support orders, review and adjustment of court orders, locating a parent, and customer service.
- Regional Human Service Centers
- Human Service Centers provide help to individuals and families with concerns including family and relationship issues, mental illness, addiction, disabilities, and other needs. Centers are located in Bismarck, Devils Lake, Dickinson, Fargo, Grand Forks, Jamestown, Minot, and Williston.
- State Hospital
- The North Dakota State Hospital, located in Jamestown, provides specialized psychiatric and substance abuse services for individuals whose needs exceed the resources and capacity of other community services.